Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Bradley Method of Natural Childbirth: What It Is and Why We Chose It

{This post is in no way meant to look down on anyone who hasn't done birth this way or isn't planning to in the future. When all is said and done, a healthy and alive mama and baby is the goal. There's a lot of different information out there about childbirth and everyone is entitled to research and make her own decision about it.}


What is Natural Childbirth?
 Laboring and delivering your child without the use of any drugs and with little to no interventions. Basically, it's letting nature take its course and working with your body.

What is the Bradley Method?
Natural Childbirth with an emphasis on 1) Relaxing (or trying to) during labor through a variety of ways, 2) Having a coach (husband usually) to support you and coach you through the labor process, and also be an advocate for you in a hospital setting, and 3) Knowing whats coming, or education. Knowing what birth will be like and what the options are to relax or work with the pain during labor was so important to me in my last two births.

Knowing there would be pain, and that I would want to quit, was also very helpful. Its important for Pete to know that I will say to him at some point "I can't do this, I can't do this" and him saying back, "yes you can, its almost over, you're in transition, keep breathing, it's almost over..." He reminds me of why I chose to do it naturally, and coaches me through the hardest parts. And once the baby is born, probably only a short time after I want to quit, I am SO thankful I didn't give in to drugs.

Why we chose this route:
  • The recovery is better for the mom.
  • The baby is alert after birth and there is no risk that drugs have reached him or her.
  • I want to remember the labor and be fully there as I experience the birth process.
  • Labors are usually faster when done naturally.
  • Less intervention in labor usually means a healthier mom and baby (obviously there are exceptions.)
  • There are a lot of things we still don't know about pitocin, epidurals, and other drugs, namely the long-term effects. I'd rather not take the risk if it's up to me.
  • Woman have given birth naturally for all of time, save the last century and a half. And the usual problems didn't go away when drugs came along. In fact, when doctors and drugs came on the scene in the 1800's to replace midwives, a whole host of new problems arose, according to the birth history books I've been reading.
But we still like our hospital:
Many people who are for the natural childbirth are against hospitals, preferring a home birth. I actually had two great experiences at our hospital and enjoyed my time there. The nurses and doctors listened to me and didn't pressure me to take drugs or change my wishes. The environment was actually restful... kind of like a two-day vacation. Other people clean up after you and bring you food, and are constantly there in case you or your baby need anything, which is reassuring to me. I know hospitals aren't for every woman who's having a baby, but for me, I thought it was a great experience overall. My doctor and pediatrician are both very obliging and worked with me to let me have the birth I wanted as well as forgo (usually) unnecessary treatments to the baby after he or she is born, like the prophylaxis eye drops.

Plus, there is always the possibility that there will be a true emergency and I like having the reassurance of already being at the hospital.

If you're considering doing natural childbirth I highly recommend you and your spouse doing a Bradley Method class together and both read "Husband-Coached Childbirth" by Bradley.  You can say you'll "try to do it naturally" when you go in to labor, but you'll probably give in because it really hurts and you and your coach are not prepared adequately. I was tempted to give in both times. Or at least I had the thought, "Okay, I know why people beg for the drugs." But my education and research helped my stay strong and cope with the pain, along with Pete, and God. Prayer is definitely important too.

This is such a short post on such a huge topic. I felt is was important for me to write my thoughts down not only for my own sake, but also for others who are thinking about and doing research on how they want their births to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment