Friday, September 6, 2013

My Alternative to the Glucose Screening Test


These came in the mail today: All the stuff I need to test my own blood sugar!

Instead of doing the standard glucose screening test at my doctor's office, I've opted to test on my own; regularly at first (per whatever the doctor recommends) and then from time to time when I want to check in to see how I'm doing.

Through my own research I've come to terms with the fact that anyone can get gestational diabetes (high blood sugar issues specifically in pregnancy which can lead to many problems). So, that is why I didn't just want to throw everything out the window and assume I'd be fine.

However, I haven't had good experiences with the screening tests in the past (expensive, time-consuming, incorrect results at first, makes me feel sick...), and I'm eating a very low glycemic diet anyways, which is what they put you on if you have GD. Plus, I don't want to drink the junk they make you consume before testing you. I don't think my body would handle that well at all considering I almost never put real sugar in my body, especially in that form.

So, today begins the fun part of testing my blood sugar. I'm actually kind of excited to see how it goes (is that weird?)!

1 comment: