Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sunday Morning Thoughts


On Tuesday I will be 37 weeks (full term.) Last night I woke up in the middle of the night to two unsettling things: 1. Lucy coughing pretty badly, and 2. bad cramps. I was having a lot of trouble figuring out what was causing the cramping (something I ate maybe?) and if I should be concerned... for a few brief minutes I wondered if I might be going into labor. Eventually I settled back to sleep and it has gone away.

Needless to say, my own heart is quick to worry. I don't feel like I'm ready to have this baby and the list of things I could be or am anxious about seems to go on and on sometimes.

My prayer right now is that Pete and I would both trust God in all the details of our lives: When He chooses to bring the baby, allows physical pain, when Lucy is sick, when we are short on sleep... when my expectations are dashed.

I realized this week that I have a lot of expectations for what the next two months of our lives are going to look like. And, I have no guarantee that any of it will happen the way I think or hope. I am not in control.

Lucy and I are stuck at home this morning as our conditions prevented us from going to church. As we sit and play together in the living room, our entire house is creaking from the massive gusts of wind outside. I think about the God who created that wind. He is strong. He is mighty. He is loving.

"...do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

My next doctor's appointment is Tuesday. I'm really looking forward to it because they can tell me a lot more about how my body and the baby are prepping for labor. I'll try to remember to update soon afterwards. :)

4 comments:

  1. Love you!! Praying for each of you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your post, Michaela. It is good for me to remember God is totally in control! I am full term today and have an ultrasound tomorrow and a check up on Tuesday. I hope your appointment on Tuesday is an encouraging one. You guys are in my prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that anxious feeling well! I am having those same thoughts and I have to keep reminding myself that God is in control, and Kendall will be here when she is ready. I will be praying for you and your family! Keep me updated! Btw, Lucy is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you and sweet baby boy in the home stretch before he gets here!

    ReplyDelete